Sunday, March 13, 2016

Control Panel Construction: phase two

As some of you know I have been spending far too much time in the bathroom lately. Renovating, not as a fan! Unfortunately the only slack time I had to work that in to was layout time. So progress has been slow.

Until today.

Next week I'll hopefully get to start tiling, if a supplier pulls their finger out, but this weekend I got to spend some time working on my layout at home. And control panels were the project of choice.


 The Plan for the Center End of the Layout

The most complex arrangement of control switches will go here. The end of the layout will have three panels; west end of branch, industrial tracks, and east end of branch.


Ready to Begin

Simple tools; a square, a pencil, and the plan...


 West End Branch Panel

I drew half-inch grid lines on the panel board, then plotted the track lines. One half inch is about the minimum for two toggles switches to be mounted side by side. Dots are for turnout control switches.


West End Branch Panel with Power Control Switch Placement

I added dots where track power switches will be placed. The spur in the center will lead directly to another turnout on the industrial track...


 Center Panel Prior to Drilling

Center panel for the industrial tracks; most of this has not been laid yet as it is code 40 hand laid!


East End of the Branch

Third panel for this location; very simple, but mostly just keeping the fascia complete. Turnout is not powered yet, and way down in the list.


All Three Panels In Place


I put the panels back in place as I was not ready to start drilling them yet, and felt they were safest out of the way where they belong. The switches hanging under the panel on the left power the branch line turnouts, and will be mounted once the holes are drilled.

Hopefully I will get the opportunity to drill some of the holes and mount the switches that are already installed, to get them to where they need to be. Then it is on to soldering track power control switches to give me the ability to switch tracks between DC and DCC, something I have been wanting to do for a very long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment